Gurre Castle (Danish: Gurre Slot) was a royal castle in North Zealand in Denmark. Its ruins lie on the outskirts of Helsingør, close to the town of Tikøb on the lake at Gurre (Gurre Sø). Valdemar IV of Denmark died in the castle in 1375.
The castle, now a ruin, was built in the 12th century. Four towers and a perimeter wall were added in the 1350s. It was excavated in the 19th century (from 1835) and is now restored. It was first mentioned in court chronicles in 1364, when Pope Urban V sent a gift of relics to its chapel.
Back to search

Gurre Castle, Gurre Slot, Gurre Slots ruin, Denmark,

Photo Category: 
Nature
Editorial
Tourism
Gurre Castle
Gurre Slot
Gurre Slots ruin
Denmark